Monday, August 30, 2010

Soapbox Time!!! - Love The Way You Lie

So yesterday I was in the car with Car and she had the radio on and the new Eminem single came on the radio. I have been blessed to have not heard this song until yesterday and listening to the song I got upset. I will now explain why.

The song is called Love the Way You Lie and it's about an abusive relationship. I guess the point is that the girl or both parties can't get out of the relationship because they're so in love that the beatings can be overlooked... I'm not 100% certain because some of the lyrics were hard to make out but I think I got the gist of what was happening in the song.

The song features Rihanna... Which I think makes her an idiot. I don't know if enough people have forgotten that, what a year ago, she was beaten black and blue by Chris Brown. Why would she agree to do this song? Why did the people around her let her do this song? It seems like a bad move. Yes, you need to stay relevant and always have something on the radio as a pop star. Yes, she got paid to the song. Yes, it's a hit. But doesn't the song point to an issue to her as a person? At some point she didn't have a conversation with herself where she said I can't do this song because of what happened to me and the message behind the song? Does she really not care?

Why do girls stay with guys who treat them poorly? There's a difference between someone with a bad boy image and a jackass. If a guy treats a girl badly and she doesn't stand up for herself or leave him, she is telling him his behavior is ok and that's wrong. Ladies, you deserve to be treated with respect and love and if you're not getting that, you should leave the guy you're with. We've come a long way since the old testament. There's no reason for a girl to be treated like garbage and take it.

It's a serious problem in America. The fact the girls were defending Chris Brown for having beat Rihanna blows my mind. Chris Brown should be jail. But instead, he faced community service, put out a record which people bought and loved and is in a new movie. The celebrity get out of jail free card is nonsense.

Guys are disrespectful, unfaithful, abusive, unloving, uncaring and yet still that can always manage to find girlfriends or keep the girls they're with.

(Side note, if a guy ever claims he has to masturbate because it's what guys do, that's a lie. He doesn't have to. Im nearly 26 and I've never masturbated. Your boyfriend doesn't have to and girls, you should let him.)

Girls, if you're in an abusive relationship, or just a bad relationship, you DESERVE and CAN find and do better.

On the same topic, I can't believe the record label let this be a single. I don't care that the song features two hot artist, or that it's catchy. I know record labels aren't really the moral compass of the world but the content of the song should have stricken it from being released a single.

It's sad the millions of teenagers are going to be singing this song without giving a second thought to the words coming out their mouth. It's despicable.

No comments: