Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why Prop 8 Being Overturned Upsets Me

So Prop 8 was overturned in California today. Now I've been vocal on this blog about my support for some form of gay rights, whether it's marriage or something else. I think the discrimination is wrong and I would like to see things change in some fashion.

But this is the second time a gay marriage ban has been lifted in California. Twice now the people of California have voted against gay marriage being legal and twice now a judge has decided that what the people want is wrong. And my problem is this gets into a grey area for me. If you want gay marriage to be upheld and legal in the state, then don't put it on the ballot for people to vote against it. Because I have a feeling that if this makes a ballot again, gay marriage will be banned in California for a third time.

The problem I have is this takes away the people's vote and what the majority in the state of California want. What's to stop other issues from being overturned by a judge? I hate to think that voting doesn't matter if a judge or group of people decide I don't know what's best. I don't always know what's best for the country or state or city, but if you put an issue on a ballot and the people vote one way on it, what the people want should be upheld and not overturned by a judge.

That is all. I will step off my soapbox.

No comments: