Thursday, September 2, 2010

LA Ink


So I was watching LA Ink last night for the first time in a while. I used to be a huge fan of the show but I had fallen off the wagon after 2 seasons. AT the end of season two when Kat called things off with Orby, I dropped off. I think I caught the first episode of season three but that was it.

The first 2 seasons were really good. Season 1 was the best because it was mostly about the shop and tattoos. Corey, Hannah, And Kim were all great tattoo artist (I would never let Kat tattoo me. I think she's terrible.) Season 2 things started to derail. There were more, random, artist in the shop and Kat's personal life started to overtake what the show was about. It was still a good chunk about the tattoos and the three real artists in the shop continued to kill it with each piece they did. The last couple episodes of Season 2 dealt with Hannah really having issues being in LA and not in Chicago with her daughter and whether or not she would come back to the shop.

Season 3 started and there was no Hannah and no Kim. So two thirds of the reason I watched were now gone. But Corey was still there. Anyway, my schedule or tv watching priorities changed and LA Ink got lost in the shuffle.

So what did I miss... From the episodes I've caught here and there, the show became less about tattoos and more about Real Housewife style drama and fighting. And I hate that stuff. A handful of tattoo artist came into the shop and didn't work out and they ended up at American Electric (a second shop the show is now following). They do have a great new british tattoo artist, Dan Smith (whose band The Dear and Departed are awesome). There was a shop manager who caused a lot of drama between Kat and Corey which ended with Corey leaving High Voltage. Major bummer.

But I guess season 4 has just started and there have only been two episodes, which I've now seen both. Corey came back to Kat and they talked through some stuff and Corey said he'd like to come back. Weeks go by and Kat herself doesn't contact Corey and he decides that what's best for him is to just stay away from High Voltage. The good news is it looks like Corey is going to take his appointments to American Electric and work there and thus still be on the show.

Will I continue watching the show... Maybe. I wish it would be more about the tattoos because that's really what I care about. I will probably watch next week. Here are two videos of some awesome Corey Miller tattoos.





And Hannah tattooing Tim from As I Lay Dying

No comments: