Monday, August 16, 2010

I love you

There's a story in Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli that I want to share on this blog. I've never read the book but last weekend Bryan Yarbrough of Anchor Church shared this story at Revolution and it hit me so hard and had just this instant impact that I have to share it.

There was a youth group that every month went to visit this retirement center once a month. One of the guys that volunteered, Darrel, would avoid going to the retirement home. He wasn't comfortable with elderly people so he didn't go. One time everyone in the youth group got the flu and he had to go. He stood along the back wall while they held a church service for seniors. During the service he felt somebody reach up and take his hand. He looked down to see an old man in a wheelchair, very mouth open and not very with it. He just stood there and not sure what to do so he just stood there holding his hand. Over time he found out his name was Oliver. He wondered if Oliver could even hear or was aware of what was happening. But each time Oliver would be rolled in and before he knew it Oliver would take his hand. But he found himself enjoying it and would go every month and take Oliver's hand. He had made a connection. One week as he was leaving he said "I have to go now Oliver. I love you. I'll see you soon." As he left he couldn't figure out why he had said that. It was very odd. But it became a constant thing where every time he would leave he would say, I have to go now, I love you." One week he came in and the service happened and Oliver wasn't there. He found a nurse and asked where Oliver was and the nurse led him to Oliver's room. And Oliver laid in his bed with his eyes closed and his breathing was heavy and Darrel knew that Oliver was dying. So he went in and sat next to Oliver and took his hand. He sat there not saying anything. It came time for him to go and he said I have to go now. I love you. He turned around with tears in his eyes and almost ran over a women coming into the room. He said I'm sorry I didn't see you. She said I've been waiting for you. I'm Oliver's granddaughter. She said, my grandfather and I have always been close so when I heard he was dying I came right away. The nurses said he wasn't talking but he talked to me. He talking very softly so I put my ear down and said what was that grandfather? He opened his eyes and said "Please say goodbye to Jesus for me." And she said what are you talking about. And he said every month Jesus comes and sits with me and holds my hand.

When Brian told this story I had to stop the video message so I could cry. Such a simple action that touched my heart.

YOu can hear Brian tell the story here. http://www.revolutionnyc.com/brian-yarbrough-visits-revolution/ The story is at the 7 minute mark.

No comments: