Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Inception

So I saw Inception today. Way latter then everyone else but I finally got to the theater and saw it. And to be honest, it left me kind of empty. It was good and I certainly enjoyed it to an extent but I didn't think it was brilliant or the greatest movie ever made. And I think to really grasp it I need to see it again. Visually it had some cool moments and the fight scenes were pretty cool. The anti-gravity fight scene in the hotel was spectacular.

But the story left too much to be desired. As a story it was disappointing. I feel like I've been reading too much Donald Miller lately because all that I could think about the movie was how hollow the story was. Their wasn't any depth to the film. There was no real reason to route for the characters or feel for them in any way. The "plot twists" you could pretty much see coming. I thought that what story the movie had was stretched so far over the movie that it was a disservice. When we get to critical backstory points, we're an hour and a half to two hours into the film.

I wish there had been more time taken to explain... well everything. You're thrown into the middle of a story where bits and pieces are revealed throughout the film to give you just enough of an insight into your main character. And although we know what's driving DeCaprio's character, I don't feel like I was ever given a real reason to truly care if they pulled the job off or not.

I might have to find time to see this movie again... But I don't know if I really want to.

Up was a great movie. The best of 09 and it should've won Best Picture. Here's a mash-up trailer.

No comments: