Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Song

Yesterday, for the first time, I listened to Fireflies by Owl City. I mean like I actually listened. I like the song. I now like the album.


I have a passionate obsession with music. I eat, sleep, breathe, live music. I listened to more records in 2009 then the normal person will listen to in the next 10 years. It's sick. I even started a blog to just talk about music.

Music plays a role in lives. It plays a deeper role then I think most of us ever give thought to. 30 seconds heard of a song can have you singing it all day. Catchy songs get stuck in our head. We sing songs without thinking about what is being sung. We absorb music on a daily basis. In film, television, at the grocery store, in our car.

There are song that we attach to certain moments, memories, people. Sometimes we don't realize it.

I have a friend who I think of every time I hear Your Heart is an Empty Room by Death Cab for Cutie. Why? We went to the movies and in the trailer for The Science of Sleep this song played. Now every time that songs pops up on itunes or when I listen to the cd I think about her.

Relient K's Forget and Not Slow Down was the album I listen to on the drive home after my girlfriend ended our relationship. And even though I absolutely love that album, it brings a hint of sadness whenever I listen to it.

I wonder if we were to try and put together a mixtape of songs to chronicle our lives, would we pick songs that had a lyrical theme that best described our life experiences or would we pick songs that reminded us of people, places, and memories? Would our soundtrack be songs that reminded us of high school friends, ex-girlfriends, family, road trips, tragedies, work?

There are songs, albums, bands that I like, not because their music is my favorite but because it reminds me of different times in my life and different experiences and people. There is music that holds a special place in our hearts because of what we attach to it.

No comments: