Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Unnamable Name

Have we lost our reverence for God?

This question ran through my head this morning and so I'm just throwing it out there.

We're currently in the middle of the God Anthology series are church and it's been awesome trying to go over the different aspects of God's character and get a deeper understanding of who God is. During this series Pastor Mark and the teaching team at NCC has been clear that they can never truly explain or comprehend the character of God. God is a mystery and even our deepest understanding of him is so far from who God actually is. We'll never truly understand God. And that's ok.

But my question about losing our reverence for God comes out of this idea that he think we know God. We actually think we can understand how God thinks and how God loves, or judges.

Isaiah 55:8-9 says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

But somewhere along the line we think we have figured God out. I know there's a lot of things I don't understand and I'll never understand. I have some major hang ups when it comes to God and there are things that I don't know how to accept. But that's ok. My theology is ever changing and ever evolving. What I believe and think at 26 isn't anywhere close to what I believed or thought at 21. But I still have questions and I still don't understand things in the bible.

But I also "know" God is good and his goodness and love is so much greater then I could ever wrap my head around. And I don't need to have God figured out to love and follow him.

Just a thought.

No comments: