Thursday, July 7, 2011

Scream the Prayer

So I went to the Scream the Prayer tour yesterday. A day full of Christian hardcore and metal music. It was fun.

The first comment on this tour is, I'm old. I know I know, 26 isn't that old. But when I go to hardcore shows like this I realize just how old in that scene I am. I don't wear skinny jeans. I don't like bright colored t-shirts or shirts with tons of crap on them. Whatever happened to a black t-shirt with the band name? 808s and techno samples don't belong in metal. I'm too old to mosh or hardcore dance or whatever those kids were doing yesterday (I wasn't paying attention to them). I wore ear plugs for the entire show yesterday. That is old. On top of that, I wore ear plugs and my ears were still in a bit of pain this morning. That my friends is old. I will continue to go to shows because I love the music and I want to continue to support the scene which has given so much to me. But I am getting old.

At one point yesterday I went to tweet "Hey asshole, did you not see the expensive camera I'm holding? Watch where you're jumping." But then I remembered my little sister follows me on twitter and thought better of it.

I went over to The Great Commissions merch table to see if they had any physical copies of their new record. Their guitarist said they did not but tried to sell me on instant digital download card with a code for a physical cd pre-order. It wasn't my intention to be a dick but I was really only interested in picking up a cd so I said I'd think about it and walked away. He came up to me later when he found out they had actual cds. I felt like a dick so I got a t-shirt too.

I then spent some time at the Great Commission table talking about hair product. I like it when people who also rock cool hair are shocked to find out that I just use everyday, find it at CVS hair gel.

The Chariot are a fun band to watch play live. They are a super hard band to photograph live. Those guys do not stand still. They payoff is worth it because I think I got some super killer pictures of their set. But I took a ton of shots and most sucked.

Camera battery died right as Sleeping Giant started. So no pictures of Sleeping Giant or Norma Jean were taken.

Norma Jean played a killer set featuring tracks from all their albums. I wish they would've played more Anti-Mother songs and in general I wish they would have played longer. Norma Jean is by far my favorite band currently making heavy music and I always hope the headliners who have 5+ albums would played super long sets.

Close You Eyes is awesome. First band of the day I really enjoyed.

Another sign of my aging in the hardcore scene, beer. A lot of kids with X's on their hands. Not much work for the bartenders yesterday.

I don't think I have anything else to add. Yeah I do, I still dislike Baltimore. Just saying.

Pictures will be up on facebook eventually.

No comments: