Thursday, July 21, 2011

Christian Art?

Back in May I had this question asked of me: "Can a Christian ever create art for the sake of creating art, or does all Christian art have to be a form of worship?"

My response was pretty simple.

"Art is an expression of ourselves and Christians should view their creative side as being ade in the imagine of God the creator. Art comes from the heart no matter what form of expression it is. The bible is full of heartache and disappointment and love and art. Song of songs is an entire book of the bible devoted to love poems. It's a highly sexual book and it's part of the bible. Is that worship? Is it art? Is it just an expression of the heart and what's inside. If our lives are supposed to be worship in and of themselves, then isn't any expression of art, even creating art for the sake of art, an expression of worship to God."

As I've been reflecting on Heather's sermon of God's beauty this question came back to me. I'd love to see other people's opinions on this. So, Can a Christian create art for the sake of creating art?

No comments: