Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This Beautiful Mess

"God brings beauty out of the mess." - Heather Zempel

Sixpence None the Richer the Richer named an album on the concept, Rick McKinley wrote a book about it but it wasn't really until Heather made the above statement that I had really thought about it. God brings beauty out of the mess. Isaiah 61:3 says he will give a crown of beauty in exchange for ashes (I know I'm taking that WAY out of context but roll with me a little).

Heather talked about life being messy and gave numerous examples of biblical messes that God brought/found beauty. And in my reflection on this week’s message I started thinking about my own life and those people around me and how God has brought beauty into lives and situations that are messy. Most recently I've seen God help a friend let go of past issues that have held them back and kept them captive for years. I've seen hope restored, confidence gained, and God completely transform someone’s life in the last month. And they radiate a new kind of beauty.

I love Hookers for Jesus ministry. Talk about bring God's beauty to messy situations and lives. I know their name raises eye brows and offends a lot of people but I love their work. Annie Lobert is bringing God's beauty to people who need it.

But I just come back to this thought again; We have the power to speak beauty into people's lives. Whether I go back to Heather saying a few weeks ago that we have the power to speak potential into others lives or going back to Pastor Mark asking how does God take care of those around us, how does He swoop in, my mind comes back to how we interact and treat others. And I'm struck again with this thought that the ball is in our court and we have the power to bring God's beauty in people's lives.

Our words have weight and it's our responsibility to speak potential and to speak beauty into people's lives. We have to take personal responsibility for speaking truth, beauty, potential, love, forgiveness, grace, mercy, and even rebuke from time to time into people's lives. Because if we don't, who will?

No comments: