Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Voice

So NBC has been running promos for their new singing contest, The Voice, for what seems like a year now. Maybe it's only been 6 month but still, that's a long time to pimp a show.

So the Voice finally aired last night and the promos worked because I wanted to watch and check this out. Damn you NBC! Having your promos plaster my on demand viewing choices and running constant commercial for this show while I watch the NHL Playoffs.

Seriously, there was compelling NHL playoff hockey being played last night but I watched the Voice instead.

Now I don't like these types of shows. I don't watch American Idol or America’s Got Talent or anything like that. But the Voice was just intriguing enough for me to watch. I wanted to see if it was actually all the talented people who were in the commercials or if they were going to pull an Idol and have some painfully tragic fools on the stage.

To the Voice's credit everyone who got on stage could sing. Not everyone got picked, but just because you can sing doesn't mean you have the pipes to be interesting enough to hold mainstream America's attention.

The show is actually very compelling. It's interesting to see which of the judges like which voice. My favorite part of the show is the contestants get to chose who's team they'll be on (if multiple judges want them on their team).

So I think I'm hooked for a while. From the understanding each team gets 8 singers and they pit their own singers against each other and the coaches have to eliminate their own singers for the first couple of weeks. This is clearly no Idol. It's better.

Bravo NBC. Through nonstop promotion you have gotten me to watch your show. The show being good will keep me interested... For now.

No comments: