Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Want My MTV

It's soapbox time. I feel like I haven't pulled it out and given a rant in a while. SO let's give a whirl.

It's GMA week in Nashville, which means the Dove Awards are happening. They're actually being filmed today and aired (somewhere) Sunday night. THe Dove Awards are like the Christian version of the Grammys. Only instead of game show American Idol winners and bad pop acts like the Black Eyed Peas, we get aging artists like Michael W. Smith and Third Day.

Now I don't want to bash the Dove Awards. They are a Christian music staple and people love the music they honor on that night. Plus, I always watch the Dove Awards (like I do with the Grammys) and without them I would have nothing to complain about.

So my beef is more of a music industry beef. While the Grammys and Dove Awards exist to showcase the "best" of what's new in music, a lot of artist and genres are excluded from these parties.

So what am I proposing? I would love to organize and run an award show for underground Christian music. I know the inernet always hands out their best of every year (I know I rock mine). But I'd like to have a night, with a televised event, showcasing the best of the Christian underground scenes (hardcore, punk, alternative, hip-hop). You can have industry people vote on their favorites and pick the winners and put on a whole party with presenters and make it just like the MTV awards (only more awesome).

So who's with me?

No comments: