Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hand of the Dead: Christian Metal or The Voice of Evil?

I have an itch to write today. Probably because it's a slow music week and there's no content going on with the music blog. So... Lucky readers?

The title of this post has nothing to do with what I'm writing. Well it does but not in a I'm going to defend or bash Christian metal and call out the people who think Christian rock is the Devil's way of taking over our lives. I'm above that.

No, this is a story of a mission’s trip and a 16 year old metal head and his youth leaders who just didn't get it.

Before my senior year of high school I went on a mission’s trip to New York with my youth group. We were spending the week at a work camp but that's not the point of the story.

So one of our leaders, knowing I was a music head, asked me to bring some music to play in the vans going up. I purposefully picked some tunes that would be more accessible to everyone going on the trip but I still made sure I had Living Sacrifice's The Hammering Process for myself.

So I managed to get into the van with all the luggage. Awesome. Only 6 of us in the van for the trip up to New York. Pretty awesome. We listened to a little music but not a whole lot. One of the girls in the van decided that we should listen to Plus One.

If you don't know about Plus One, congratulations. No seriously, you're lucky. Back in my high school days most Christian music was just a replacement for bands on the radio. Nothing original or creative. Just poor versions of what non-Christians were listening to. So Plus One was the Christian Backstreet Boys.

I was not a fan of this and after 45 minutes or so of awful boy bands music I reclaimed the cd player. I decided that if I had to sit through that then those girls were going to have to suffer through one Living Sacrifice song. I picked Hand of the Dead because it had some clean vocals in it.

The drum intro kicked in and our youth leader instantly turn the cd down thinking that a trash can had been dropped or something had gone wrong with the van. After explaining that it was just the song we turned it back up. And then the vocals started... The song was instantly turned off because Bruce Fitzhugh's growls sounded like Satan and there was no way that it could be Christian.

Needless to say I stopped trying to share metal with people I went to church with.

A funny story that came to mind and I thought I'd share with you.

Here's Hand of the Dead. You decide. Evil or awesome?

3 comments:

Jennifer Ruth said...

That is really funny.
I never listened to Plus One. The first band I ever listened to was the Newsboys (gotta love those Aussie accents, ha).

But I remember trying to get into Christian metal in middle and high school. I loved it for a while, but then realized I was only trying to get into it because everyone else was.

I remember a friend of mine who wasn't allowed to listen to rock of any kind - secular or Christian. So I would purposefully bring Christian rock bands to her house, to "educate" her. 'Cause I thought I was such a rebel.

Patton said...

Metal and hardcore isn't for everyone and that's awesome. Everyone should have their own style and likes.

What's funny is the NEwsboys were the first Christian band I ever listened to as well (although I'm sure it was a much earlier incarnation of the band)

Jennifer Ruth said...

Haha, nice.

I think the first album I listened to was "Going Public".
And then there was...what was it, "Love Liberty Disco"?
Back when all the original band members were doin' their thing (as far as I know, anyway).