Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Technology Can Be Difficult Sometimes


Karol Patton, Come on Down!

It might not be the biggest difference between my sister and me but as a point of reference she prefers DreamWorks Animated Films and I think Pixar is clearly superior.

There's a great line from Talladega Nights where Susan says "Well, Ricky Bobby is not a thinker. He is a doer." When it comes to technology, Karol is not a thinker. My sister has probably gotten better with technology over the last couple of years. Thankfully this story happened before she went to college. She will argue that this happened differently, but it didn't.

Way back in the day, iPod's used to be these big clunky white things that played music. The technology was still fairly new and having one was pretty cool. My sister bought a 16 Gig Refurbished iPod from the Apple store. I had bought mine refurbed from the Apple store, never had a problem, and loved it.

(Since I no longer own an iPod or mp3 played or any kind this was obviously before my holy war against technology and how much I hate Apple's battery life but that's for another blog).

So my sister gets her iPod in the mail and she's excited. But that excitement didn't last long. She just couldn't get the iPod to work. She had the usb cable plugged into her computer, iTunes up... But nothing. Her frustration grew louder, filling the house with anger.

I went up to her room to see what the problem was and looking at the iPod I quickly noticed the problem.

"You have to turn it on."

Turning the iPod on it quickly showed up on the computer and in iTunes. Not one of her smartest moments.

Now in Karol's defense Apple did send her a busted piece of junk and the iPod never did work correctly. Of course my sister never sent it back and tried to get a replacement but that's another story.

No comments: