Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why So Serious...

You ever have a moment where you think or say something and then a light clicks and you realize you have a problem? I had one of those this morning. It disturbed me and made me curious.

Situation goes a little something like this; I was driving to work, drinking my coffee, listening to Max Richter, you know, standard Monday thru Friday ordeal. And then I see it... the bumper sticker that made me sigh. You know the slightly disgusted sigh. Too be honest almost all bumper stickers make me sigh that sigh but this morning was different. This bumper sticker said....

"Couple for Christ"

Why did this bumper sticker rub me the wrong way... I'm not entirely sure. I mean... I would consider myself a follower of Christ or what's more commonly called a Christian. And this sticker is way less offensive then other stickers, t-shirts, books, sermons, etc... So why this sticker, this morning?

Instantly this got me thinking as to why I had been rubbed the wrong way by such a simple little phrase that affects my world not at all. But I was disturbed and have to face the fact that I'm bitter towards Christianity as a culture. I mean I already knew this and I've been very outspoken against certain aspects and I have come down very hard on capitalizing in the name of Christ. But to sigh in disgust at a bumper sticker that says couples for christ?

I have a problem. I'm sorry.

No comments: