Thursday, December 8, 2011

How Committed Am I?

One thing I've found to be true in my life is that God will use pretty mundane and innocent things to convict me about bigger issues in my life.

So a friend of mine texted me today and asked what got me up before 8:30. The answer was simple, I got up at 7 to run because I had somewhere to be this morning.

No big deal. I run every day. If I have somewhere to be be in the morning I'll get up early to get my run in. I run 6 days a week. I'm a pretty dedicated and committed runner. (You can see where this going right?)

So later this afternoon as I was on the train going through my text messages the thought came to mind "What would my life be life if I was as committed to God as I am to running."

Ouch.

I've had similar experiences before and the heartache you feel when convicted like that sucks. It's a stinging pain that's hard to get describe.

It's not that my running is a bad habit or something God hates but I far too often am more committed to running, and other things, then I am to my relationship with God and that is not right. And I'm grateful for this conviction and grateful for my friend's text even though they were (probably) in no way trying to convict or judge me. But God uses a little bit of everything to get people's attention. And all I can do is apologize to God. Because he deserve's my best and my attention and my first fruits and more often then not he gets my worst and my leftovers. And that's not right. And that's on me.

So... What are you committed to more than God? What else am I committed to more than God?

1 comment:

Amanda G said...

I had the exact same thoughts and conviction when I was training for my Tri. I think God taught me more out of that 3 month experience than I ever expected. He's pretty faithful and creative that way.