Monday, September 6, 2010

Story Time - Linthicum Heights

So my drive down to see Advent and Sleeping Giant on Friday prompted a memory, which is kind of funny, kind of embarrassing, and should be shared with the class.

I went to a lot of shows and saw a lot of bands in high school. The first show I ever went to on my own when I could drive was Norma Jean and mewithoutYou at Linthicum Heights Methodist church (where the show Friday was). Got there fine, went inside, paid, and enjoyed the show. The opening bands were alright. Vanderbilt played, as they always did. mewithoutYou played a shortened set, as Aaron was sick. I still thought it was a solid set. Norma Jean took the stage and got about 30 seconds into their song when the power went out. Power came back on, they started over and 30 seconds in the power went out. Power came back, they started for a third time, got about a minute in and then power to the block went out. End of their set, end of the night.

I stayed around for 20 minutes or so making conversation with bands and fans a like but the power wasn't going to be coming back on so I bolted. It's an easy trip. You get on 695 and take that to 70, which takes you back home. Simple. An easy 45-50 minute trip. But for some reason my 16 year old brain had it in my head that I needed to take 195 home. I took a random exit, got on something, took another sketchy exit and ended up on 95 north headed to New York.

I knew I had made a mistake when I hit the toll. I did not have the money to pay the toll. My hope was that the toll attendant would feel bad for me that I had messed up that she would just let me through. Now she did tell me how I could get back to where I needed to go but I still had to pay the toll. So I started counting out pennies. Luckily the guy in the car behind me asked if I was lost and then offered to pay my toll. Great guy. So I went through the toll, got back onto 695 and made it home.

There were no travel issues on Friday.

No comments: