Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let me just pull out my soapbox

I'm slightly amazed at the things that get under my skin sometimes. I mean, I know things bug me constantly, but there are simple non offensive statements that will set me off and not leave my mind. And this is just such an occurrence.

Sometimes it's best to not read things. Yesterday I read a simple statement that really wasn't malicious or ill-intented in any way. The statement was that We need to really be praying for America and that these were sad sad times we live in. The reason for them being sad times and the reason why this person was reminded to prayer for the country... Same-sex marriage is now legal in DC. And this bugged me.

Same sex marriage is a hot button topic in the church. And the majority of Christians are against it. And I understand the reasoning... But I can't help but feel that this stance is wrong.

Now I would say that being gay is a sin. I believe it's wrong. But I also think a ban on gay marriage is wrong. It's discrimination. I feel like marriage discrimination over sexual preference is wrong. And even though I don't agree with homosexuality, I still feel that gays and lesbians have the right to get married.

I think that we sometimes forget that some of those who want to get married might be our brothers or sisters in Christ. And even though I think homosexuality is a sin, I know I have a sin in my life, and that puts us on equal footing. Because we both need Jesus. And if I have a brother in Christ who wants to get married but can't because of his sexual preference, I think that something is wrong. Christ died for all of us. ALL OF US!

No comments: