Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Is This Goodbye

Is anyone else a little baffled that it's July already? It's kind of just here. Like we're in the midst of summer and I'd yet to take notice. Ah well.

My brain will go to weird places and weird thoughts at weird times. Thus this post. I had a thought when I was on the treadmill.

I was thinking about all the cool black and white photos at my parents and grand parents house. All the cool old photos of my family framed around the house. These are what exist on walls and on coffee tables in grandparents and parent's houses across the country. Pictures of grandfathers working on there cars, of grandparents at the beach together, old wedding photos, etc...

And this was my thought... Will my grandkids have those photos around their house one day? Will I? Don't get me wrong, I love my digital camera. Being able to delete a crappy picture without having to waste film is awesome. But what about that framed picture capturing a memory of yesteryear?

Maybe I'm the minority. Social networking is great. Being able to see pictures and read about what's happening in my friends lives is great. Being able to to stay in contact with people is amazing. I know without facebook there are good friends whom I would never ever talk to. People move, life moves on. With facebook and twitter I can stay in contact with people and see what's happening with them. It's great.

And I know that people print their pictures and frame them (I know I do with mine). But the idea that one day there will be houses without walls of pictures of their family, past and current. That the volumes of albums containing embarrassing picture after embarrassing picture will be no more makes me a little sad.

Yes I love old polaroids and old black and white pictures and so this might be coming from my super biased opinion but it's my blog.

No comments: