Monday, July 13, 2009

Vices

"Oh, but mother, I've got vices like any other man
Vices that you're not used to
Vices that'll make you think less of me"

So I've been thinking about vices lately. Not like today well running, just more on and off for a month or so. And not really anything in particular just a general thought about having vices. Smoking, drinking, eating, exercise, shopping, etc..

And I don't really have anything much to say. Some vices are more frowned upon then others. I think sometimes we have vices we're not even aware of. I know I have vices. Some are weird quirks but they're vices none-the-less. And I hate how we look down on people because of things we deem as problems with their lives. We look down on smokers, on alcoholics , drug users. But things like shopping, or fashion, or extreme exercise we mostly ignore. And I think because certain things don't pertain to health, or law, or morality we don't look upon them as vices but these are still things that hold us down and keep us from being our best.

I have habits and thought processes that I'm trying to deal with and move past to become a better person. I think vices keep us focused on ourselves, rendering it hard to love those around us.

"Oh, but Jesus, I've got vices like any other man
Vices that you're so used to
Vices that won't make you think less of me"

No comments: