Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Truce

I've been meanings to post this for a couple of days but I haven't had a chance so here we go.

I was on youtube the ohter day (as I often am) and I found some live footage of Training for Utopia (who is a great band). I was enjoying the wondeful sounds of the great TFU and started to read the couple of comments posted. Of course there was a "conversation" going on that started with this simple statement... "Christian Metal is a sin". And all I could say was "Really"! There is a movie coming out about the history of Christian Rock called Bleed Into One and it goes into this whole idea of "christian music" being evil and I can't wait for this film. Anyway... that simple post combined with a story I read a couple of weeks ago about a kid who was going to get suspended from his christian high school for going to prom at his girlfriends public school because dancing is wrong got me thinking.

How are we still at a point where dancing and music of certain genres (pr at all) are considered evil and/or a sin. Can music be evil, sure. Can dancing be sinful, sure. But to put out blanket statements like "Christian" metal is evil is so beyond me. I mean to be fair I do love metal... And I love dancing... But I also love God and Jesus. I've never felt like listening to christian metal made me more sinful or evil. I've never felt like my dancing was a sin. David danced. A bunch of the psalms are written as songs. I don't think David ever danced to Lil Wayne but that's not the point.

My point is that I hate when people make things Christian vs Secular. I hate when people make a cheap imitation christian version of something secular. There was a period when it seemed like the only christian music being released was cheap, lackluster, christian versions of whatever bands were popular in the mainstream and it was bullshit. I think things are a lot better now. The bands coming out worth giving a listen to are still around and the quality of bands that have been making waves in music as a whole have been great and greatly improved and are no longer bringing the world more crappy christian music for youth group kids to suckle on. But I digress...

God loves us so much! He sent his son to die for us. The bible is full of things that break God's heart. It's full of things that we do that hurt him so deeply. And because of that I have such a hard time saying that a form of music or expression on hit's own can be considered evil or sinful. If a christian dances or plays metal and is doing so to bring glory to God, isn't that considered worship? If we're called to worship God in everything we do, with everything that we are, isn't the moment we do something as an act or expression of love to God to be considered worship and seen as holy and worthy?

I want to love God with all that I am and with everything that I am and with everything that I do, be it poetry, dancing, heavy metal suck, tattoos, making coffee, whatever. The aim is to bring and give glory to God. And as long as my heart in trying to accomplish that then who cares what the expression is?

No comments: