Tuesday, April 1, 2008

As Cities Burn - Come Now, Sleep

I'm not one to write record reviews. I'm just not very good at conveying why an album is kick ass. It's not my style. But I can tell you why I personally enjoy certain record. Thus, As Cities Burn.

There are moments I enjoyed on the first As Cities Burn record and I really grabbed the new one on a whim. And I'll say "Come Now, Sleep" isn't the most musically inspiring record I've ever heard. The songs are about as standard post hardcore/emo as one can find. But the lyrical content of this record is really appealing to me. Usually my second listen through an album is with the lyric sheet to what it is any band/artist is saying. This is one of those records that lyrically move me. It's a very honest reflection on the difficulties of being a follower of Christ and that appeals to me.

"Remember we used to speak.
Now I'm starting to think,
Your voice was really my own,
Bouncing off the ceiling back to me.

God, does grace reach to this side of madness?
'Cause I know this can't be,
The great peace we all seek." (Contact)


"Cause I was a pharisee,
I never saw my need for grace;
Then your love came to me
stood next to mine, and I saw that I was poor." (Empire)


"They're steady, steady breathers,
Who won't lift a finger for the gasping weaker.
You just hoard your hollow completion,
Like it's something wearing thin.
Like it's gonna get you in, When heaven comes.

'Cause when heaven comes,
I swear it comes in love.

Grace make your way to the well,
To those who deserve it.
After all they've earned it.
But vain, it's in vain,
'Cause they don't need it." (Hoard)


"forget about being honest
forget about being passionate
wear that smile like you feel it
even when you don't" (This is It, This is It)


"Is your love really Love?
Is my love really Love?
I think our love isn't Love,
Unless it's Love to the end.

Is your god really God?
Is my god really God?
I think our god isn't God,
If he fits inside our heads." (Clouds)


"If I make it to heaven
I may be as bloody as hell.
Would you still take me?
I'm afraid that you might say,
"Depart from me, I never knew you."

All the love I want to give,
Gets caught between every rib.
What does that make me?
I have good intentions,
But no exit for them to come out right through." (Wrong Body)


"I'm sure if you wanted to stop love,
You could just untie your end and let it go.
But, my God, you don't.
Yeah, I think I love you for it." (Our World is Grey)



Lyrically I love this record and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in rock music.


No comments: