Monday, January 2, 2012

Let It Go

One of my all time favorite tv shows in VH1's Behind the Music. Great show. The greatest moment on the show ever is also one of the saddest things you'll ever watch. Behind the Music: Leif Garrett had a moment where Leif and one time friend Roland Winkler were reunited. The two hadn't seen each other really since a car accident in 79 that left Winkler paralyzed (the show aired in 99). In the most touching Behind the Music moment ever, Garrett issues a heartfelt apology, talking about how the guilt has eaten away at him for years and this accident has affected his entire life. On the flip side of all this is Winkler who accepts Garrett's apology and admits that he forgave Leif years ago and has moved on with his life and is really happy and that there's no reason why Leif should still be so guilt ridden over this incident that happened 20 years ago.

As I was reflecting and praying on Pastor Hall's New Year's Eve message yesterday afternoon this moment came to mind. It's always been a scene that was really sad to me. Leif Garrett carried around this guilt for 20 years. It ate away at him and tore is life up for 20 years while the person he had hurt and who's life he had damaged was able to move on and have a happy life.

And as sad as the moment is that's how so many live. We are unwilling to let go of our past mistakes and failures and we carry them around with us and let them affect parts of our lives they shouldn't have any control over.

I don't know if I can one of my favorite Markisms (because I'm a fan of them all) but I love "Your best days are ahead of you." I think it's a positive attitude to keep in mind. But in order for your best days to be ahead of you, you can't let past failures and mistakes control you. Our past mistakes and failures are things to learn from. The consequences are still there from our choices and there can be pain and lingering affects that we will carry with us forever.

Without a doubt my favorite song by Relient K from a lyrical standpoint is Who I Am Hates Who I've Been. I love the bridge.

"Who I am hates who I've been
And who I am will take the second chance you gave me
Who I am hates who I've been
'Cause who I've been only ever made me"

Our pasts, full of heartache, disappointments, failures, rejection, mistakes, and more are what help us to become who we are. But only if we're willing to learn from our past and continue to move forward.

God has great things in store for us this year! Don't hold on to that which he's already forgiven you for. Let go, seek forgiveness, learn from the past, and continue to move forward.

No comments: