Friday, January 6, 2012

About a Girl

So before Thanksgiving I wrote about letting go of the good thing and going after the God thing. While general good advice, this was an answer to a specific prayer for me and looking back it was probably a double sided answer. But naturally I didn't see it as such so I kept praying. An out of the blue conversation with a friend of mine should've been the confirmation and green light I needed. It wasn't. A second conversation pushing me should have been what got me going. But it too was not enough. And I was still praying about what to do. Finally God, as he almost always has to do, yells at me.

*Note - Actual yelling did not occur.

So while praying asking God what I should do, I hear "Bryan, you know what you want." I imagine the conversation with God could've gone something like this after that revelation.

Me - Alright, I got it God. I should go for it.
God - Well I'd freaking hope so after all the hints I've dropped!

**Note - I imagine the casualness of that exchange with God might upset some people. I apologize. That's how I roll though.

***Note - If the title of this blog didn't give it away, yes this is about a girl. The tone of this post is going to change drastically for some of you.


So I think it took at least 3 or 4 tries before I actually let the call to Amanda go through. Sitting outside Frozen Yo, nervous as hell, not sure at all what to expect. She answers and the conversation went something like this:

Me - I was wondering if you'd like to go out some time?
A - Sure. When?
Me - Well I know your schedule is crazy. When are you free?
A - ::Rattles of a week full of activities with absolutely no free time::
Me - Ok...
A - Well let's play it by ear and we can work it out when something is available.
Me - Sounds good.

That's right, I asked her out and didn't get a hard date set in stone. Not a great confidence booster. She had an out. We hadn't confirmed anything. She could just never talk to me again. I suppressed panic as I had other things I needed to focus my attention on. All the while thinking in the back of my mind that this was never going to actually happen and it would just be a moment in our friendship that we never talked about.

But the next day she texted me with a Tuesday availability. So we went out. And it was nice. Texted her the next day and said I had a great time and would like to go out again sometime. She didn't text back... Well she said she had a good time but didn't respond to text number two. Instead an e-mail invite was sent to me, asking if I'd like to join her at her office party. Of course my answer was yes. Here was the small issue... I had to wear a suit.

If you're shocked that this is an issue, we probably aren't good friends then. I didn't own a suit. I didn't know how to tie a tie. I had no need for any of these things. That's how awesome my life is (or lame for some of you). Tried to use one of my brothers’ but it was a no go there. So I bought a suit. Yes, I bought a suit to go out with her! It's crazy and a pretty big investment for a girl that you have no idea what she's thinking or feeling but I bought it nonetheless. As I've explained to my younger brother, guys will do crazy things for the women they want to impress. And I bought a suit!

So I still didn't have a read on her. Like... She seemed to have a good time but I still wasn't getting any real positive this-is-moving-forward type vibes. That was until date number three was initiated by her. We went ice skating. And even while we were out I wasn't super sure what she was thinking. But I was having a great time.

But something changed that night. I don't think either of us has really been able to say what exactly that was, but something changed.

Anyways, I think I've been pretty detailed so far so I'll just leave the story there.

I'll just say it's been a pretty incredible month with an amazing girl who I feel blessed to have. I mean... I'm kind of a giant dork and the fact that she wants to be around me is pretty cool. She's beautiful and encouraging and just extremely amazing! I'm super thankful for her! God was super cool in blessing me with such an amazing girl. I look forward to many more adventures with her!

4 comments:

Will Johnston said...

I'm a big fan of both of you, happy for you guys!

Jessie Lewis said...

I cannot explain how cute this is! I know, I know. Guys don't want to hear the word cute. But it is. I'm so glad for this blessing God has given you guys! :)

Amy said...

Thanks for stepping it up, Bry! Very rare & others should follow suit!

You deserve this one... She's pretty great to boot!

Patton said...

Thanks guys!