Monday, September 19, 2011

Something Beautiful

This coming Sunday I'm putting on an art show. It's a dream about 8 years in the making. It started when I was 19. I was trying to put on a concert for a touring friend of mine and myself at the church I was attending. After playing an open mic I was told by the guy in charge that he loved what I was doing but the church just didn't support it.

I've conversations with many people and while the particulars change of the situations change, the theme is always the same: Arts in the church is not a priority.

For a while I wasn't sure how to tackle this idea. I knew I wanted some sort of arts based community but wasn't sure how that would look. And to be honest, at various points in my life this wasn't a huge priority for me.

But 2 months ago, after another conversation with a friend who was looked down upon for their art, I decided it was time to do something. And thus, the Something Beautiful Art and Music show is born.

Something Beautiful is built off the basic idea that we are created in the image of God and I believe the image of God has more to do with the character and personality of God. So God is the creator and some of us have more of God the creator in us then others.

Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God CREATED the heavens and the earth.

I want Something Beautiful to eventually be something where all creative people can come together and share their thoughts and ideas. From musicians, photographers, sculptors, painters, tattoo artists, fashion designers, cake makers, whatever, to be able to come together and use their talent to reflect God's beauty. For artists from all different backgrounds to come together and share their creations, their personal expression of worship, with each other and with others.

On top of that, I want this to be an encouragement to young artists. I want artists to be encouraged by those around them and to know that their art is important and has a place in the body of God. A place where older artist can help younger artist refine their craft. I want young artists to be lifted up and inspired. Not discouraged and questioning their passions.

I'm excited for this art show and excited to see where things go from here.

Create: Something Beautiful

1 comment:

Jennifer Ruth said...

Gonna be so awesome! I'm really excited.