Sunday, May 30, 2010

Stanley Cup Finals Game 1


So I just want to throw out some quick thoughts about tonight's Game 1 between the Hawks and Flyers.

First, tonight's game was a prime example of too much time off between the Conference finals and the Stanley Cup finals. 10 goals in the first 2 periods is insane. Not all of the goals I'd blame on the goaltending or defensive breakdowns because there was a goal or two that had a crazy deflection and went in. But a 5-5 game at the end of the second period was not at all what I was expecting. Things finally settled down in the third period with Boucher giving up one goal and Niemi didn't allow a goal in third. I don't think we'll see another 6-5 game in this series. Both teams will play like they did in the third for the rest of this series.

The second thing that's on my mind is the goaltending situation with the Flyers. Leighton didn't have a great game but I think he could bounce back in Game 2. But should Boucher get the nod in net because he shouldn't lose the job to injury. I don't know what Laviolette's thoughts are on his goaltending situation. Boucher was the guy who got you into the playoffs and was winning games before he got hurt. But Leighton was strong in games against Boston to win that series and was good against Montreal. I think Leighton will get the nod in game 2 but if it's rough early, he'll get the hook.

No comments: