Thursday, March 5, 2009

There is No Dana

I have a couple of record reviews that I want to do. I do them mostly for my own enjoyment and on the hope that someone reads this and discovers some great music. I said I'd do the great Norma Jean record "The Anti-Mother". A record in which I am very much in love with. It's very good. But I will wait for another day.

Let's talk about TwoThirtyEight. Great, great band. Released three records on Takehold before Tooth and Nail bought out Takehold. T&N re-released Regulate the Chemicals and the final TwoThirtyEight record "You Should Be Living." I will say that Regulate the Chemicals is one of my favorite albums.

A little bit of personal back story. Takehold records also released the first 2 Underoath records. The second record being Cries of the Past (pretty good metal album). I heard "The Last" on the radio. I feel in love with that song. I found Underoath online, then found Takehold. I ended up downloading a couple of TwoThirtyEight tracks from Napster (yay!) and bought both the Underoath and TwoThirtyEight albums.

Regulate the Chemicals is fantastic. A record that has held up over the past couple of years and still gets lots of play at my house. Some would call it indie or emo, it doesn't matter. Lyrically the record moves from place to place in a cavalcade of story telling. It's a little quirky in movement musically. Not untameable or confusing and not at all a math rock album but it starts and stops with fits of emotive furry. Chris Staples quite honest singing voice exploding into screams of heart and honesty. Plus the first christian record that I'd heard with some sort of "curse" word.

"Some people stay sick in bed,
sick at work or in their heads.
Doctors can diagnose,
problems they are having most.
Regulate the chemicals,
prescribe all the medicines.
Put you on the right road to recovery" (Hands of Men"

"I am happy to be just to be a page in a chapter of your book
You always read the heart inside me like a book and it made me smile
The eyes will speak words when the lips are standing still" (There is No Dana)

"so caught up in being noteworthy,
the average ghost is haunting someone else
you know you're wired when your senses fail" (Coin Laundry Loser)

"I'm running out of fingers to count the things I've done wrong.
I'm dangling from the towers I've built to save my life.
Could it be I've been the one to kiss you to a tree?" (The Bastard Son And The Spoiled One)

"i'm sick of being sick
of being thirsty for a drink
of the one thing you can get me
if i could just forget me
lock the door with the book in raise the table
and the ceiling meanwhile books will fall in" (The Songs Will Write the Words)

"I'm making up reasons,
I have answers for questions never asked.
This is the sound of me thinking too loud.
This is the sound of my brain waves in a chaotic symphony of thought,
or something like that." (Indian in Your Eyes)

No comments: