Sunday, December 30, 2007

Top 10 Records of 2007

It's that time again when I give you my top 10 albums of the year. This years list might be the most eclectic list ever. So here we go.

10. Joy Electric - The Other Opus : I was really unfair to this record when it first came out. After hearing the Brothers Martin record, Joy Electric's latest offering seemed weak. Not interested, not bass heavy, no bad but not what I had hoped for. Upon further listening I was wrong. Ronnie spent a lot of time on vocals and it shows on this record. It might actually be my second favorite JoyE record.



9. Rich Swift - Dressed Up for the Letdown : Although half of this record contains songs on previous 7" record it's still great (besides, how many people are buying vinyl?). There aren't many artist doing what Swift is doing and that's good. It's very well crafted pop music.



8. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone : I love post-rock. It might be the most listened to genre of music in my collection as of the last year. EITS released another beautiful piece of music. Gorgeous instrumental music.



7. Battles - Mirrored : I'm not sure what to say about Battles. A lot of people love this record. A lot of people hate this record. There is no middle ground. I love it.



6. Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works : Who doesn't love Dillinger Escape Plan? A combo of the math metal that made DEP famous and a jazz rock, Mike Patton fusion. It's good. I swear.



5. St Vincent - Marry Me : I read a review of Marry Me on popmatters and thought it could be an interesting record. After the fist few notes of Now, Now I knew it was going to be a good record, and it is. Very pretty pop music.



4. Pharoahe Monch - Desire : I love hip-hop. It's plan and simple. Desire is one of the best hip-hop records I've heard in a long time. Great beats, good hooks, strong lyrical content.



3. Hopesfall - Magnetic North : On a whim I picked up Hopesfall's record "Magnetic North" and it was a well spent $10. I love the guitar work on this record. This record didn't leave my car cd player for 2 months. Just a solid record.




2. Kenna - Make Sure They See My Face : I was a big fan of New Sacred Cow when that came out in 03 and the four years it took to release Make Sure They See my Face was worth it. A very energetic, danceable record. From start to finish this record is great.



1. The Brothers Martin - The Brother Martin : The fist time I listened to this record I literally wet myself. I've been waiting for this record for years and it was everything I thought it would be and more. Ronnie Martin (Joy Electric) and Jason Martin (Starflyer 59) finally got together and created a brilliant dance record. I could probably gush about this record all day but I won't. Just buy it. It's incredible.




Honorable Mentions:

Although they didn't make the top 10 I need to give a heads up about a couple of record that are also awesome.

Worlds End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland
Eluvium - Copia
MxPx - Secret Weapon
Stars of the Lid - Stars Of The Lid And Their Refinement Of The Decline
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Signal Hill - Signal Hill
Caspian - The Four Trees

No comments: