Monday, October 24, 2011

Berlin Reflections Post 1

I'm calling this post one of my Berlin reflections because I'm sure as the next couple of days pass there will be many more thoughts that I want to post. Plus I have a lot on my mind and heart and putting it all in one post might be overwhelming and probably won't make a ton of sense.

This trip to Berlin was one of the greatest moments in my life, both spiritually and personally.

I can't talk about Berlin without talking about all the amazing people I got to share this experience with. So much talent and passion in the small group of us that went. From John already in Berlin, to the entire team, to all the great people we met in Berlin, it was just an amazing group of people who got along and gelled so well together. I am blessed to have met and become close friends with everyone on the team. If I haven't expressed it personally to anyone on the team yet, I'll say it here; I love you guys and am so glad to have been on this trip with all of you. You are all amazing talented people who put together a killer gallery in such a short time... It's mind blowing all the work that was done. I am blessed to know you all.

The trip itself was nothing like I expected and I will say it was completely successful in a handful of different areas. First, and maybe most importantly, the team was able to be an encouragement to John. Getting to hear his vision for the first time and see his passion was awesome. Getting to be there with him and help him take the first steps in seeing what a cafe/performance space over there could look like was awesome. I'm so grateful for John and the vision God has placed on his heart and I'm glad to say that I was a part of what God is doing in Berlin.

Secondly the team was able to be an encouragement to the Christian organizations already in Berlin. Which was really a double blessings because we were so blessed and inspired by what other people were doing in Berlin that our creations reflected the stories we were told. Having them show up to our gallery and being able to perform our songs and show our work to them that was inspired by them... I think it was a nice encouragement.

On a real personal level I was pushed this week. Walking the streets that second night in Berlin and seeing the prostitution really... Convicted me... I don't know if that's the right wording. I was extremely sad as I was praying that night and honestly I felt helpless. I wrote a song called Perceptions. It's the story of a girl and the way she and those around her perceive her. The moral behind the story is being trapped and not knowing how to break free and in the end, still being loved. It's a rough song content wise but... I got some positive feedback. At our gallery I performed the song. I don't like singing in public (even though I led worship for 4 years and used to perform as a singer/songwriter). I'm just not that comfortable being behind a mic but I did it this week. I don't think I sing very well but I'm glad I could perform this song and sing with the conviction that was inside of me.

The best moment for me came on our last night in Berlin and the second night of the gallery. I wrote a song with Tiffany Thompson that was inspired by a story I heard at the Berliner Stadtmission. Dorit, who showed us around the Stadmission and told us the story, came to the Gallery the second night and we were able to perform the song for her and show her the lyrics. Dorit wanted to take the lyrics with her to the Stadmission and present it to have the words posted on the wall at the Stadmission. It was one of the most touching moments of my life and it took every part of me to not breakdown and cry in that moment. It meant a lot to me and really touched my heart.

I could go on forever about conversations with people that touched my heart and challenged me but I'll stop for the moment. It was an amazing trip and I'm still processing all that God has begun to do in me.

No comments: