Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's 2011... No seriously, 2010 is over.

And being 2011, it means we only have one more year until we all perish. Ok, technically two because it won't be December of 2012 when the world ends and scientist have admitted defeat in trying to read the Myna calendar and they might have been wrong about that whole 2012 thing.

Anyway, we're a week into 2011 and I feel that's just fashionably late enough for me to do some 2010 reflecting.

I could talk about the lows of 2010 but that's depressing and the poor reader might reconsider living if I post a downer blog so no sad news or bad things. Only good vibes and fast times.

In 2010 I...

Quit my job. While that might not seem like a positive, those on in the inside know that this was a much-needed move. While I at times loved my job and learned a lot and created a lot of stuff I'm super proud (and created a ton of stuff I'm extremely NOT proud of) it was time for me to move on. Audio books weren’t my long-term career goal. The company was struggling financially and a normal days work environment would make most people run for the hills. So after much prayer and consideration I quit.

In 2010 I...

Spent the year as a full time musician. The downside to quitting your job is if you don't find a job, you have major issues. And I have still yet to find a job pertaining to audio or recording of any kind. I'm just too awesome. The upside is sometimes you find a way to make money doing what you love. And I was able to keep myself a float by playing music. It's like a dream come true (minus having to live with my parents).

So I put out a record in February called My Heart to Heaven (and if you don't own it, you should! You can download it for free. www.noisetrade.com/echobrokealone) That record and a handle of shows have helped me make some money, not a whole lot, but it's been a small beacon of financial help. Most of musical conquests involved playing drums. Seriously, making money playing drums is sweet. I also got to mix a handful of cool tracks throughout the year.

In 2010 I...

Grew a freaking sweet beard. It was awesome. 4 months of bearded glory. It had been 4 years since I had grown a beard and growing one in 2010 made me realize that having a bear and not having to shave it awesome.

In 2010 I...

Started covering the Caps for Washington Sports Jam. It's less glamorous then it sounds but I love it. I mostly just live tweet the games I'm already watching (follow us on twitter. @dcsportsjam) I've been on two podcasts breaking down the Caps and hopeful the boys will expand their blog coverage to include my Washington Capitals commentary (so I won't have to bog this blog down with it).

In 2010...

The Caps failed in the playoffs again. Ok, so I am going to be sad for a little bit. After destroying everybody in the regular season and winning the Presidents Trophy by a few billion points, the Caps were bounced by Canadians in the first round of the playoffs. It was stunning and awful. Hopefully 2011 will yield better results.

In 2010 I...

Got to spend a lot of time with my awesome girlfriend Carley! Being a full time musician (aka out of work) means you have more free time then the rest of the working world. Which means I had all sorts of time to spend with my girlfriend, and I did!

It's not a whole lot but you have to focus on what was awesome and learn from and move from what was less then awesome.

2011, prepare to be conquered.

No comments: