Monday, July 30, 2007

Peanut Butter and Jelly

When I was in grade school I took peanut butter and jelly (strawberry) sandwiches for lunch everyday. I mean EVERYDAY. What did I care, I was 7.

My life seems to have come back full circle where I seem to be taking pb&j sandwiches for lunch everyday again. And the reasons are different. For starters buying a loaf of bread, peanut butter, and jelly is cheaper then eating my lunch out everyday.

But my reflection was based more of going back to something I loved as a child and how it's a reaccuring theme this year. I mean they made a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Transformers movie. I love cartoons still.

It seems the older I get the more people ask me when I'm going to grow up. Which I still don't understand. I mean I have a birthday every year. Tomorrow I will be one day older then am today. My beard looks better today then it did a year ago. And don't think I'm naive about this. I know what people mean.

An ex-girlfriend once lamented how she would be glad when I got over this "college phase". This came up out of talks of quitting my my job to road trip across the US and backbacking thru Europe.

I'm 23 this year. I've had a full-time job since I was 19. I don't make a lot of money but I enjoy my job (no matter what I might say from time to time). I like wearing jeans and black t-shirts everyday.

And so this concept of "growing up" esacpes me. This idolize American dream of going to college, having a nice, making lots of money, getting married, having a nice house in the burbs with your 2.5 kids don't fit with me.

I'm happy eating pb&j everyday. I'm happy living in Washington, DC. I'm happy kicking my computer at work when it crashes. I'm happy being outside the norm. I'm happy watching cartoons on Saturday morning.

I'm happy being me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter_and_jelly_sandwich

No comments: